Repeat customers are one of your best assets. They spend 2 to 3 times more than new customers. On average, their conversion rate is 5 to 9 times higher than first time buyers. They can even refer new clients to you. The best way to keep in touch with your customers is through e-mail marketing.
E-mail marketing allows you to stay connected with your customers beyond the transaction. It targets repeat sales and word of mouth referrals by developing relationships with repeat customers. Email Marketing is cost effective. It is 20 times more cost effective than direct mail, and provides a return on the investment by driving people to your website and increasing customer retention. And that means higher sales for you, new sales, and a loyal client base.
How do you build that base?
Email marketing is all about content. With strong content, you’ll get more attention per customer than any other form of marketing. Here are some tips for the content of your e-mail marketing:
- Decide on your targeted audience. Know who you want to speak to and choose a theme and title for your e-mails based on that target.
- Let your personality show! Have a distinctive voice and a conversational tone. It shouldn’t read like a report, more like a conversation between friends.
- Follow the 80—20 rule. That means 80% of the content should be information that’s useful and interesting to them. Only 20% of the content should be about your products, services, or latest deals.
- Write an attention grabbing subject line. It should pull readers in to your content.
- Utilize relevant pictures and video (with title tags) to keep readers interested. Link those pictures to corresponding pages on your site, because people love clicking on pictures.
- Create an email schedule and stick to it each month, so customers can know when to expect your latest information.
For more information on Email Marketing, check out the Guide to Email Marketing on the PrairieWeb blog: